The Buzz on Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity

Are you utterly reliant on your cell phone, laptop and big screen TV? If so, you're certainly in good company. But did you know that for a small portion of the population, the existence of these and other such modern electronic devices can cause a host of physical ailments?

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity

There's been increasing awareness in recent years about a condition called Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity. This is thought to be sparked by a reaction to the emissions from the many electronic devices in use today.

While there's been little scientific data to back up the existence of such a health condition, the people who're affected by the reaction stress that the symptoms are quite real. These can include anything from skin disturbances like redness, tingling and burning, to more incapacitating ailments including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and even heart palpations.

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and Environmental Intolerance

The World Health Organization (WHO) points out that electromagnetic hypersensitivity seems similar in nature to sensitivities to other environmental factors. As a result, many practitioners group the range of nonspecific symptoms that could be related to various environmental conditions into the broader categories called Idiopathic Environmental Intolerances (IEI) or Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). Further, it's been noted that people who're especially sensitive to environmental factors such as electromagnetic emissions may also be more susceptible to typical allergies, including pollen, dust and mold.

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Symptoms Could Have Many Causes

If you suspect you could have a sensitivity to electromagnetic fields, the fact is that there's actually no way to actually know for sure if it's triggered your electronic devices (or those of your colleagues or neighbors) or if it could be poor air quality, stress or other types of allergies that may be prompting your condition instead.

Therefore, the best way to identify the culprit is to keep track of your symptoms and when and where they occur, and try to eliminate other possible allergens.

No Set Course of Treatment Exists

Also keep in mind that even if you do narrow in on an electromagnetic hypersensitivity as the most likely cause of your discomfort, there's actually no specific recommended course of treatment. Many doctors will focus on creating a strategy to prevent or control your symptoms and minimize your exposure to the things that seem to make you feel ill. You may also find it helpful to connect with a self-help group of other people suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity so you can share coping methods and offer each other morale support as well.


American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

World Health Organization